CBD (cannabidiol) and melatonin are often viewed as similar things; however, it is not particularly true. CBD and melatonin are both naturally found and may give some of the same effects. But they have some pretty big differences. In the article we will attempt to navigate you through to answer the question, which is the better choice for you? Because these two compounds are not as comparable as one might think, we will start with a definition of each.
The basics and differences of CBD and melatonin?
CBD is one of the 113 cannabinoids found in the Cannabis sativa plant. The Cannabis sativa plant is naturally found and comes in a variety of different variations. It’s not uncommon for CBD to be confused with another cannabinoid called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Although these cannabinoids are both found in the Cannabis sativa plant, they are quite different. THC is the cannabinoid that most are familiar with because it creates psychoactive effects or a ‘high’ associated with marijuana use. This is why marijuana is not federally legal in the United States. Another variation of the Cannabis sativa plant is the hemp plant. As of 2018 with the Farm Bill this variation has been legalized throughout the United States. What’s the difference? The hemp plant contains at or less than 0.3% of THC and therefore cannot cause inebriated effects. The other cannabinoids it contains (including CBD), however may have a positive effect on your overall wellbeing, etc.
Melatonin is a hormone that your brain naturally produces. This hormone helps regulate your body’s natural sleep-wake cycle. So, why are we talking about this and CBD? After all, CBD is not naturally found in the body. This is correct. Melatonin has been synthetically made into a pill form as well as gummies and other types of products. Synthetic melatonin may be able to help people fall asleep after the sleep cycle has been interrupted. Therefore, those who need a little more help falling asleep and getting a good night’s sleep may benefit from a bit more melatonin.
Which is best for you?
Though CBD has been used for increasing calmness, that is just one of the many reasons that people use CBD. If your focus is purely on trying to get a better night’s sleep, melatonin or a mix of CBD and melatonin may be the best option for you. However, CBD may be able to help you with that and a bit more. So, what else can CBD do?
- Skincare: CBD topicals are a common product, this is because CBD may be a good ingredient to have as part of your skincare routine. In this study they concluded that those with and without skin conditions had improved skin health after the use of CBD topicals. They used several tests to test before and after the use of a CBD topical. They helped show their results through photographic evidence.
- Promote a sense of calm: We touched on this a bit before but here is a bit more explanation as to what we mean. Promoting a sense of calm in those who have feelings of anxiousness may be quite helpful to some. This study involved using brain-imaging to help study people with generalized social anxiety disorder. Those who were given the CBD showed a decrease in their social anxiety disorder via brain scans. Those who did not receive the CBD did not have any decrease.
- Help with inflammation: The potential anti-inflammatory properties of CBD are among one of the most popular CBD areas for people to study with CBD. One study focused on how CBD may be able to help older dogs deal with inflammation. During this study, pet owners were to administer CBD to their dogs two times a day for four consecutive weeks. The owners were to take a weekly test to show if anything had improved. At the end of the four weeks pet owners described their dogs to be more mobile. This study, among many others, suggests that CBD may be able to help just about anyone dealing with CBD.
- Antibacterial properties: There has been information coming to the forefront of the potential antibacterial properties of CBD. And this information may be true. This study found that CBD may be able to help kill bacteria.
One of the main reasons that edibles are so popular is taste. Hemp tends to have a distinct, earthy flavor. Some CBD products still have this taste. For some, this is not a problem, as they enjoy or do not mind the taste. However, for others, it can make a CBD product nearly unbearable. CBD edibles are made to taste like whatever food they are made to be, masking that hemp flavor.
Another reason why people love CBD edibles is based on control. Most edibles are made with the same amount of CBD in every serving. That way you always know exactly how much CBD you’re getting. Other CBD products can be a little bit harder to control. For example, drops are a great way to get CBD directly, but it is easy to accidentally get one drop too many with the dropper. The control that edibles can provide you with may also give you some peace of mind.
A third reason why edibles are so popular is that there are many choices. You can find CBD edibles in just about any food or drink you could want. There are CBD pastas and bread. Others make CBD sodas and sparkling water. Then, of course, there are the CBD candies, like gummies or chocolates. Pretty much anyone can find a CBD version of their favorite food. If not, you can add it yourself.
While all of these are great reasons to love CBD edibles, nothing is perfect. Out of all the CBD products out there, edibles take the longest to start working. This means that you do need to be prepared to wait at least half an hour to see if the CBD is working. However, edibles also are believed to have the longest-lasting effect, so there is a little bit of trade off with this downside.
What products are available?
Now that you know all the reasons that people use CBD, what products are available?
- CBD pills: If want a CBD product that is somewhat familiar, a CBD product could be a good choice for you. CBD capsules are one of the most common kinds. Once the capsule is swallowed it goes through the digestive tract and then lands in the stomach. Once there the CBD is absorbed as the capsule is broken down. A CBD tablet is placed in the mouth and dissolves there. It enters the bloodstream from the mouth as the tincture does. All tablets and capsules are made with the same amount of CBD in each.
- Tinctures: This type of CBD gets into the bloodstream quickly. When the dropper full of CBD oil is placed in the mouth it is absorbed into the bloodstream from there. This is a straightforward product, made with CBD extract and a carrier oil. Some tinctures come flavored to mask the earthy hemp taste that some do not enjoy. Although tinctures give the CBD effects quite quickly, they have been described to last not as long as other products. They have excellent CBD bioavailability.
- Topicals: CBD topicals are a bit different than the others as they usually never reach the bloodstream. This way your skin can reap the benefits of CBD. They work best when used with regularity. CBD topicals come in lotions, salves, creams, and even hand sanitizer for antibacterial purposes.
Some people find that CBD works better for them when it comes to sleeping. Others prefer using melatonin. Then there are people who find that a combination of the two are exactly what they need. It depends on each person. If you want to give a combination of CBD and melatonin, be sure to talk with your doctor first.